Friday, December 11, 2009

"Hobo"-woman.

You would think that being a good, supportive wife is the right thing to do, right? Well turns out it comes at a price.

Kevin recently got a second job (due to the slow winter season at the dunes) at Big 5 Sporting Goods in North Bend (about 25-30 minutes away from where we live). He works a couple nights a week over there on the late shift ending around 10pm. Well one of the days that he was working, we decided to make a day shopping trip to town too. We didn't want to drive there and back twice, (once for the shopping trip and once for him to go to work), so I just decided that I would wait for him while he was at work.
Who ever knew that filling 5 hours with shopping could be so difficult. (Especially for ME!)
I roamed the mall hallways but soon had to leave because they were closing, checked out the dollar tree (I guess I take after grandma a little more than I thought), and even got Taco Bell--> (Boredom, for some reason, seems to result in a "why-did-I-eat-that-much, I-wasn't-even-hungry-to-begin-with" full stomach) *and with Taco Bell, -two cheesy double beef burritos-, that's not the best thing to do.
Eventually I found my way back to the car, and found that barely an hour had passes. Oh dear. What to do. Luckily we had brought little Sadie (at least I had some company), and I had picked her up a new toy at the dollar tree. So we played a bit, and I fed her some of her new -also dollar tree- treats (I bought them because they were good for her skin and coat. I fed her quite a few in the car, then later read the back of the package and found that I'm only supposed to feed "1 treat per 10 pounds of weight per day". *Sadie is barely 5 pounds*)
Puppy play died down after a few minutes... and as our energy waned, so did the temperature. It had been dark since 5 o'clock, so now at 7 it was pretty chilly. I put on an extra sweatshirt, laid Kevin's spare sweatshirt over my lap, along with the new sweater i had just bought. Sadie was curled on my legs trying to keep warm herself, and with both of us completely bundled up I settled in playing games on the iphone.
A knock on the car window scared my practically to death, then there was a blinding blue-white light in my face. What was a police man doing at my car? Were the lights on or something and he was being nice letting me know? I was about to find out that any of my assumptions were far off.
I would have rolled down the window, but I was in the Muntifering "running-on-a-prayer" Geo Metro, and the driver's side window rolls down, but not back up. So I had to open my door to speak to the man.
"You can't roll down your window?" he asked.
Police men always make me a bit nervous, so being freezing and a bit frazzled all I could reply was, "It gets stuck." (Brilliant, Kaylynn.)
Then he asked something I never expected anyone to ask me (not including my dad jokingly referring to my always-messy high school car). "So are you living in your car or something?"
WHAT?! I quickly reassessed my situation in my head. I hadn't showered that day, my hair was slicked back into a hideous messy bun because we left in a hurry, I was bundled in multiple sweatshirts and had even more jackets on top of my legs for warmth, I had a dog with all of her necessities in the front seat next to me, and I imagine I was looking a bit green from all the cheesy goodness in those (gag) burritos.
Great.
"No! I'm waiting for my husband to get off work!"
"Oh. Well I just saw you hunched over and thought you were maybe taking a nap or something."
I look like a hobo. end of story.
Is this what living in a place with limited human contact has done to me?
When are we moving again?

2 comments:

  1. This is great kt! A great start to your marriage I can tell! I am looking forward to your next amazing adventure. You may have taking the name Muntifering, but you are still a Cluff! With Cluff adventures!! I'll keep checking for updates! Great story telling!! I love you!!

    ReplyDelete